Postdoctoral Research Associate – Delamination Of Novel Layered Materials
Long Island, NY, USA | Brookhaven National Laboratory
Industry:Government / Military
Job Description:60 people have viewed this job
Why Work At BNL?
Brookhaven National Laboratory delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The CFN is a DOE-funded national scientific user facility, offering users a supported research experience with top-caliber scientists and access to state-of-the-art instrumentation. The CFN mission is advancing nanoscience through frontier fundamental research and technique development and is the nexus of a broad collaboration network. Each year, CFN staff members support the research of nearly 600 external facility users.
Three strategic nanoscience themes underlie the CFN scientific facilities: The CFN creates new strategies for Nanomaterial Synthesis by Assembly, designing precise architectures with targeted functionality by organizing nanoscale components. The CFN devises and applies new platforms that Accelerate Nanomaterial Discovery, to achieve improved material performance and functionality. The CFN develops and utilizes advanced capabilities for studies of Nanomaterials in Operando Conditions for characterizing materials and reactions at the atomic scale in real-world environments.
The CFN is seeking an exceptional postdoctoral researcher to develop methods to delaminate and deposit non-conventional layered materials. This project is a part of a broader effort at the Center for Functional Nanomaterials (CFN), developing the “Quantum Materials Press” (QPress); an automated system to synthesize entirely new materials made from stacked two-dimensional sheets and characterize their exotic quantum properties. The team can benefit by adding a strong materials scientist to expand the library of available two-dimensional materials to include unconventional ones that go beyond known van der Waals solids. In carrying out your project, you will be mentored by CFN scientists Anibal Boscoboinik and Kevin Yager.
In This Role:
- You will develop and apply methodologies for the delamination of non-van der Waals materials, e.g.: phyllosilicates, layered perovskites, layered zeolites, and MOFs.
- You will also develop methodologies for the reliable transfer and deposition of single layers of these delaminated materials.
- Your work will expand the library of available materials in the QPress, leading to new possible heterostructures that the instrument could assemble, and thus to stacks with novel quantum properties.
- Your work will also include the characterization of these new materials, and heterostructures, using surface science methods such as scanning probe microscopy, photoelectron spectroscopy, and infrared reflection absorption spectroscopy.
Required Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities:
- You are qualified for this postdoctoral position if:
- You have earned a Ph.D. degree in Materials Science, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or a suitable related discipline.
- You have experience preparing and characterizing two-dimensional nanomaterials.
- You are creative and can see yourself developing new methods and approaches for sample preparation.
- You collaborate effectively with other scientists while working independently within your broadly-defined research objective.
- You participate meaningfully in scientific discussions, and the preparation of publications.
- You are committed to working safely in the laboratory and fostering an environment of safe-work practices.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities:
- You are particularly well-matched to this position if:
- You have experience preparing and characterizing non-van der Waals two-dimensional nanomaterials.
- You have concrete expertise with zeolite and/or ionic layered materials.
- You have experience depositing single layers of two-dimensional nanomaterials; e.g. using a Langmuir–Blodget trough.
- You have expertise in surface science characterization methods.
- You communicate effectively, both verbally and through writing.
- BNL policy requires that after obtaining a PhD, eligible candidates for research associate appointments may not exceed a combined total of 5 years of relevant work experience as a post-doc and/or in an R&D position, excluding time associated with family planning, military service, illness, or other life-changing events.
- Two-year appointment with possibility of extension.
- Some travel may be required.
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation:Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required at the start of your employment.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Already a member? Sign In