Principal Engineer, Power Electronics
Boston, MA, USA | Cambridge Consultants
Job Description:55 people have viewed this job
We are looking for a Principal wireless power electronics engineer who is motivated to work closely with a talented and diverse engineering group to drive wireless power electronics hardware design, integration, and validation.The candidate will work very closely with other electronics, mechanical, electromagnetics, and software, and human factors engineers to design and bring custom hardware up from scratch, go beyond the standard, show strong ownership, innovate further, and show strong people skills. The candidate will participate in all aspects of the electromagnetic design of inductively coupled antenna coils for use in wireless power systems. The candidate needs to be skilled in the use of 3D EM simulation tools and use those tools to aid in the design of optimized parameters such as winding configurations, mutual inductance, resistive losses, and field uniformity across intended charging volumes. Hands-on design, significant efforts in simulation, and troubleshooting will be required in this role.
Key Words: DC-DC Converters, Power Conversion, Mixed Signal Design, Class-E PA, Class-D PA, Power Management, Coil Design, High Frequency EM Simulation
- Execute the design and development of wireless power systems for a variety of projects in parallel.
- Stay abreast of manufacturing techniques and new high-performance cost-competitive technologies applicable to magnetic antenna structures. Engage with vendors (e.g. PCB and ferrite) to understand their capabilities, limitations and cost drivers.
- Conduct complete antenna integration process including antenna selection, placement and in-situ testing.
- Build simulation model templates that correlate accurately with measurements
- Work and adhere to project timelines to deliver on-time prototypes, test results, and documentation to clients.
- Significant design use of simulation tools such as HFSS, CST, SIM4LIFE for coil design and regulatory evaluation, Cadence/ADS/LTspice (or equivalent) for circuits, mathematical analysis and test environment scripting using MATLAB/Python (or equivalent), and Schematic and PCB layout using Altium.
- Development will include extensive hands-on testing with RF boards developed either in-house or by partners, using oscilloscopes, network analyser and other test equipment.
- Work closely with engineering team to translate product requirements into engineering deliverables.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Proven track record of simulating, modeling, designing, and hands-on validating power electronics designs (mW to 100s of W)
- DC-DC Converter experience from LF to HF (up to 10 MHz preferred)
- Experience with design of high efficiency Class D, E, F amplifiers (ideally in the 1-50Mhz range)
- Strong understanding of electromagnetics and magnetostatics (100 KHz – 100 MHz ideally)
- Experience with PA’s (1 W to 50 W), tuning/impedance matching circuits, voltage regulators
- Strong written & verbal communications skills, and good interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in use of electrical test equipment, i.e. oscilloscope, multimeter, soldering tools
- Demonstrated success in resolution of technical challenges leveraging strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work individually and in small teams that may include colleagues working in any of our global offices
- Ability to multitask and be flexible
PREFERABLE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Experience in ISO 13485 medical device development processes especially 60601 regulations for Class I, Class II and Class III medical device submissions
- Knowledge of thermal management materials and experience in designing for thermal management.
- Choice of medical dental and vision plans
- Flexible spending accounts
- 22 vacation days for full time employees
- Competitive base salary
- Pay for performance
- Profit share bonus plan based on company and individual performance
- 401K with discretionary company match
- Life Insurance
- Relocation assistance, if applicable
- 13 weeks fully paid Parental Leave
Already a member? Sign In