Principal Power Electronics Engineer - Smart Implants
Boston, MA, USA | Cambridge Consultants
Job Description:51 people have viewed this job
We are looking for a principal wireless power electronics engineer who is motivated to work closely with a talented and diverse engineering group to drive wireless power electronics hardware design, integration, and validation.The candidate will work very closely with other disciplines to design and build life-saving implantable medical devices such as pacemakers and neurostimulators to market.
You will specifically be leading and developing wireless power delivery hardware for the next generation of implantable medical devices. These devices will be scavenging devices or with minimal power storage capabilities. You will work in a multidisciplinary team to design innovative products throughout the medical development lifecycle – from concept development to transfer to manufacture.As a Principal Engineer you will lead our technical teams and work closely with clients while growing and developing your skill set.
DAY TO DAY
- We undertake a wide variety of work; hence we are looking for an adaptable, hands-on technical lead.You will succeed if you are a self-starter who thrives on challenges and drives execution excellence.Day to day, you will:
- Support or lead the scoping of new projects by understanding client requirements and identifying technical challenges
- Participate in the development of system architectures and investigate technical feasibility in collaboration with engineers from other disciplines
- Simulate and produce detailed analog, digital and mixed signal circuit designs
- Develop schematics, oversee PCB layouts and generate and manage BOMs for multi-PCB product designs
- Produce and implement test plans to evaluate technologies and verify product functionality against requirements
- Debug, test and evaluate designs in the lab, and support integration alongside other team members
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- Authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
- 10+ years relevant experience with BS EE, or MS/PhD EE
- Experience leading, coaching, and mentoring more junior engineers
- Proven track record of simulating, modelling, designing, and hands-on validating power electronics designs (mW to 100s of W)
- Test and measurement experience with DMMs, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, and other lab equipment and soldering tools
- Design for manufacture, test, cost and reliability
- Work and adhere to project timelines to deliver on-time prototypes, test results, and documentation to our partners.
CORE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Circuit design and PCB design for EMI/EMC mitigation methods and techniques
- DC-DC converter experience from LF to HF (up to 10 MHz preferred)
- Experience with PA’s (1 W to 50 W), tuning/impedance matching circuits, voltage regulators
- Strong written & verbal communications skills, and good interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated success in resolution of technical challenges leveraging strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work individually and in small teams that may include colleagues working in any of our global offices
- Stay abreast of manufacturing techniques and new high-performance cost-competitive technologies applicable to magnetic antenna structures. Engage with vendors (e.g., PCB and ferrite) to understand their capabilities, limitations and cost drivers.
- Significant design use of simulation tools such as HFSS, CST, SIM4LIFE for coil design and regulatory evaluation, Cadence/ADS/LTspice (or equivalent) for circuits, mathematical analysis and test environment scripting using MATLAB/Python (or equivalent), and Schematic and PCB layout using Altium.
- Strong understanding of electromagnetics and magnetostatics (100 KHz – 100 MHz ideally)
- Experience in ISO 13485 medical device development processes especially 60601 regulations for Class I, Class II and Class III medical device submission.
- Knowledge of thermal management materials and experience in designing for thermal management.
- Understanding the wireless power space including standards and regulatory challenges.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) are important concepts in the workplace and Cambridge Consultants Inc. is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, veteran status, military service, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under federal or state law. Cambridge Consultants Inc. will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions in accordance with applicable law.
- Choice of medical dental and vision plans
- Flexible spending accounts
- 22 vacation days for full time employees
- Competitive base salary
- Pay for performance
- Profit share bonus plan based on company and individual performance
- 401K with discretionary company match
- Life Insurance
- Relocation assistance, if applicable
- 13 weeks fully paid Parental Leave
Already a member? Sign In