Principal Power Electronics Engineer - Smart Implants
Cambridge, United Kingdom | Cambridge Consultants
Job Description:61 people have viewed this job
We are looking for a principal wireless power electronics engineer who is motivated to work closely with a talented and diverse engineering group to drive wireless power electronics hardware design, integration, and validation.The candidate will work very closely with other disciplines to design and build life-saving implantable medical devices such as pacemakers and neurostimulators to market.
You will specifically be leading and developing wireless power delivery hardware for the next generation of implantable medical devices. These devices will be scavenging devices or with minimal power storage capabilities. You will work in a multidisciplinary team to design innovative products throughout the medical development lifecycle – from concept development to transfer to manufacture.As a Principal Engineer you will lead our technical teams and work closely with clients while growing and developing your skill set. Here is a webinar looking at the challenges faced by the implantable medical device community to give you a flavour of the problems we are solving.
What you will be doing!
We undertake a wide variety of work; hence we are looking for an adaptable, hands-on technical lead.You will succeed if you are a self-starter who thrives on challenges and drives execution excellence.Day to day, you will:
- Support or lead the scoping of new projects by understanding client requirements and identifying technical challenges
- Participate in the development of system architectures and investigate technical feasibility in collaboration with engineers from other disciplines
- Simulate and produce detailed analogue, digital and mixed signal circuit designs
- Develop schematics, oversee PCB layouts and generate and manage BOMs for multi-PCB product designs
- Produce and implement test plans to evaluate technologies and verify product functionality against requirements
- Debug, test and evaluate designs in the lab, and support integration alongside other team members
What you can bring!
- Lots of relevant experience with BSc EE, or MSc/PhD EE
- Experience leading, coaching, and mentoring more junior engineers
- Proven track record of simulating, modelling, designing, and hands-on validating power electronics designs (mW to 100s of W)
- Test and measurement experience with DMMs, oscilloscopes, logic analysers, and other lab equipment and soldering tools
- Design for manufacture, test, cost and reliability
- Work and adhere to project timelines to deliver on-time prototypes, test results, and documentation to our partners.
Some core skills and experience!
- Circuit design and PCB design for EMI/EMC mitigation methods and techniques
- DC-DC converter experience from LF to HF (up to 10 MHz preferred)
- Experience with PA’s (1 W to 50 W), tuning/impedance matching circuits, voltage regulators
- Strong written & verbal communications skills, and good interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated success in resolution of technical challenges leveraging strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work individually and in small teams that may include colleagues working in any of our global offices
- Stay abreast of manufacturing techniques and new high-performance cost-competitive technologies applicable to magnetic antenna structures. Engage with vendors (e.g., PCB and ferrite) to understand their capabilities, limitations and cost drivers.
- Significant design use of simulation tools such as HFSS, CST, SIM4LIFE for coil design and regulatory evaluation, Cadence/ADS/LTspice (or equivalent) for circuits, mathematical analysis and test environment scripting using MATLAB/Python (or equivalent), and Schematic and PCB layout using Altium.
Some bonus experience!
- Strong understanding of electromagnetics and magnetostatics (100 KHz – 100 MHz ideally)
- Experience in ISO 13485 medical device development processes especially 60601 regulations for Class I, Class II and Class III medical device submission.
- Knowledge of thermal management materials and experience in designing for thermal management.
- Understanding the wireless power space including standards and regulatory challenges.
- Competitive salary reviewed anually
- Company profit share
- Generous pension
- Hybrid working model
- Flexible working hours and location
- 25 days annual leave plus public holidays, with flexibility to carry over / borrow
- Comprehensive insurance - Life, disability, private healthcare and travel insurance (business & leisure)
- Enhanced family leave benefit of 13 weeks full-pay parental leave for those that meet qualifying criteria
- Career development and training opportunities
- Social committee
- Discounted train season tickets, through Travel Plan Plus
- If travelling to Cambridge by train; Free shuttle service to/from Cambridge North train station, through Cambridge Science Park
- Whilst in the office; Free canteen - breakfast, lunch & refreshments
- A comprehensive relocation package is available, if applicable
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees' careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.
Already a member? Sign In