Principal Systems Test Engineer
London, United Kingdom | Ultra Electronics
Industry:Manufacturing (Heavy Industry)
Job Description:58 people have viewed this job
At Ultra Cyber we protect highly sensitive information, working with nations worldwide to help ensure their information is secure as possible. Our engineers work on the most difficult cybersecurity challenges to protect our national security and critical infrastructure; we strive to protect what matters.
It’s why we come to work. It’s what we are good at. We pride ourselves on providing state of the art development tools, an excellent working environment and career development opportunities.
At Ultra Cyber You Will Be:
- Given a wealth of development opportunities with a clear career plan in-mind
- Provided with internal and external training opportunities
- Work on state-of-the-art Cyber Security equipment within high-grade crypto and information assurance
- Part of an agile organisation, with the ability to make a real difference
- Involved in multiple domains and projects, throughout the engineering lifecycle
- Work in a dynamic environment, with the ability to make significant personal impact
- Have exposure to all functional and business areas, with opportunities to broaden your knowledge
- In an environment where talent is recognised and promoted
- Plan, scope and conduct System Test and Qualification activities to ensure requirements of our customers and stakeholders are verified and validated within the Cyber UK Operational Business Unit. To lead systems test scheduling and strategy either as part of a single or multiple projects.
- To lead the definition, planning, designing, documenting and undertaking of qualification of systems as part of one or more projects simultaneously.
- To interact as a member of the systems team consisting of 15-30 systems and systems test engineers, with opportunities for technical leadership and/or line management of a team of system test engineers (1-5) within the Cyber UK Operational Business Unit, which delivers multiple concurrent research, development and production programmes ranging from tens of £k to several £m.
Responsible For / Key responsibilities
- The role will have Line Management, Technical Management and Subject Matter Expert responsibilities:
- Line management of a team of systems engineers (1-5), responsible for their PDPs, training and development and approval of the team’s requests (e.g. annual leave etc.).
- Technical management of a team of systems engineers (1-5) on a project, their tasking and being responsible for the quality of their technical delivery and adherence to schedule.
- Subject Matter Expertise, and recognised as the company expert, in a specific subject matter, such as a specific product type or technical area.
- Responsible for verification and validation activities required to formally qualify complex systems as part of the V-model lifecycle.
- Create and maintain Systems Test artefacts, such as Test Plans, Test Procedures and Test Reports, as required, throughout the product development lifecycle, to result in a positive project outcome.
- Carry out Systems Test activities in accordance with Systems Test artefacts, so that test, qualification and acceptance events are completed successfully.
- To support the Environmental Qualification test activities for Ultra Cyber products to include in house and external test houses.
- To be familiar with environmental test facilities and test chamber operation under the guidance of environmental test engineers
- Is responsible for System Engineers obtaining sufficient knowledge to support environmental testing (end to end process) both internal and external.
- Supports the maintenance of test equipment, can design special to type test equipment to meet the diverse requirements generated across multi-concurrent projects.
- Is responsible for the safe handling, configuration, use of, logging and security of systems under test and their component parts.
- Contributes to safety and security of the test environments including laboratories, able to build a business case to ensure that test environments are suitably available.
- Supports design reviews and can explain technically complex concepts clearly to less technical/involved parties. Creates and delivers presentations based on technical knowledge to Senior Management and Customers.
- Able to manage external test houses, i.e. organising EMC and TEMPEST qualification, assuring the appropriate handling and availability of equipment under test, developing test harnesses in collaboration with test houses.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending applicable training courses; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; membership of professional organisations.
- Proposes improvements in tools and techniques that support innovation to increase the engineering organisations efficiency.
- Provides specialist knowledge and support to the wider engineering team.
- Mentors and coaches less experienced engineers; sharing knowledge willingly and constructively.
- Manage security of information as defined in the Security manual to ensure compliance with Government regulations
Qualifications / Skills Required
- Degree or equivalent qualification in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or have suitable industry experience.
- Knowledge of Electronic Engineering or equivalent and experience of Hardware Engineering.
- Ability to facilitate transition to automated Integration & Testing solutions
- Knowledge of Agile Development, Test-Driven Development (TDD), Behaviour Driven Development (BDD), Acceptance Test Driven Development (ATDD) and similar techniques.
- Knowledge of Environmental Testing.
- Line management experience of a team of 1-5 engineers.
- Technical management experience of a team of systems engineers.
Every employee is critical to our success and as such we offer a range of flexible employee benefits including:
- Bonus - performance related
- 25 days’ holiday with the option to buy an extra 5
- 4 x Life Assurance Cover
- Flexible working hours
- Early Finish on a Friday
- Pension Contribution
- Our Ultra Select Benefits package including – subsidised gym & retail, childcare vouchers, cycle to work schemes, etc.
We trust and empower each other; we love to celebrate success and we win as a team. Together, we embrace change and we’re never satisfied until we’ve done what we said we’d do
Here at Ultra we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusivity. Underpinned by our values, behaviours and policies, we want you to feel empowered to be the best version of yourself. We also believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures will increase our diversity of thinking, ensuring we successfully deliver to our customers.
We therefore do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also support requests for flexible working arrangements wherever possible.
Already a member? Sign In