Principal Test Engineer
Cambridge, United Kingdom | Cambridge Consultants
Job Description:57 people have viewed this job
We are looking for a Principal Test Engineer to join our team. The role of the tester is generally a dynamic and meaningful one, and this is certainly the case at Cambridge Consultants.
You will often be involved at the very start of a project, using your analytical and questioning skills to test the various concepts, requirements and user journeys even before a line of code is written.
You will work with the development team to define the direction of the testing activities and the choice of tooling. You will manage and perform testing activities on the project, adapting to the project needs and making sure that all appropriate aspects of testing are considered from functional to non-functional.
What we can offer
The Test Group is an integral part of the Wireless and Digital Services division within Cambridge Consultants. The division develops a wide range of products that incorporate advanced wireless technologies often with a cloud connected element.
Many of our projects involve software and hardware, and as a tester you will get involved during the full product development cycle – from concept definition, through development of hardware, software and mechanics, and on to production and release to the field.
As a member of our test group, you will help to grow and evolve the group. You can grow your own skills through our community and the variety of projects you will work on. You will be a specialising generalist; a ‘part of the team’ to get the job done, as well as the test specialist.
What you can bring
As a test specialist, you will need to be aware of several forms of testing. You don't have to know how to do all of them, but need to appreciate what is required, be willing to learn new skills and coordinate getting it done.
Automation is a large part of producing sustainable development environments through continuous integration & delivery. Therefore, experience with CI systems, coding, automation frameworks and development practices is desirable.
We would like to speak to people who have experience in:
- Planning, designing and performing test activities across a full system of multiple components
- Technically driving and guiding multi-functional development teams to improve quality at all levels
- Strong Python skills, particularly in the areas of implementing networking protocols and inspecting data transfers
- A deep understanding of continuous build, integration and source control.
- Experience of architecting software test systems
Any experience in the following would be advantageous:
- A good understanding of networking and network configuration in Linux, particularly with Ubuntu and Red hat distros
- Familiarity with testing hardware
- Competitive salary reviewed anually
- Company profit share
- Generous pension
- Hybrid working model
- Flexible working hours and location
- 25 days annual leave plus public holidays, with flexibility to carry over / borrow
- Comprehensive insurance - Life, disability, private healthcare and travel insurance (business & leisure)
- Enhanced family leave benefit of 13 weeks full-pay parental leave for those that meet qualifying criteria
- Career development and training opportunities
- Social committee
- Discounted train season tickets, through Travel Plan Plus
- If travelling to Cambridge by train; Free shuttle service to/from Cambridge North train station, through Cambridge Science Park
- Whilst in the office; Free canteen - breakfast, lunch & refreshments
- A comprehensive relocation package is available, if applicable
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees' careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.
Already a member? Sign In