Sales Tax Compliance Manager
Atlanta, GA, USA | Cherry Bekaert LLP
Functions:Accounting / Control
Job Description:82 people have viewed this job
The SALT practice is a national practice and serves all Cherry Bekaert offices throughout the Southeastern states.This Candidate will have the opportunity to work with the firm’s Senior Managers of SALT and play an integral role in building the SALT practice through the growth of sales tax compliance services.Candidate will be responsible for the delivery of state and local tax services for multiple clients in a wide variety of industries.
Responsibilities include interacting closely with partners, senior managers, staff, and clients to provide compliance expertise; contributing to practice development and business development activities; and supervising and developing staff on a firm-wide basis.Specifically, the primary responsibilities of the Sales Tax Manager are focused in the following areas:
- Tax Compliance and Consulting
- Client Service
- Project/Task Management
- Implementation of SALT initiatives
- Communication of SALT developments
- Staff Supervision, Development and Training
- Personal and Professional Development
Sales Tax Compliance
- Preparing all aspects of sales & use tax compliance and reporting.
- Identify opportunities to minimize clients’ multi-state tax risk through nexus reviews, notice management, etc.
- Provide state and local audit defense assistance to clients.
- Research complex state and local tax issues using state statutes, regulations, case law and other relevant authorities/guidance.
- Provide technical assistance to the tax compliance function in order to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Accept responsibility for, and complete tasks assigned by firm’s Senior Managers.
- Make effective use of firm resources to complete projects.
- Manage multiple client projects at any given time.
- Alert SALT Partner in a timely fashion of any issues, constraints, challenges, and/or scheduling conflicts that may arise in completing assigned tasks.
- Develop a professional relationship with the firm partners/managers.Gain the respect and confidence of the partners/managers by consistently demonstrating excellent customer service, quality work products, and professional integrity.
- Manage expectations of clients and partners.Ensure that the clients/partners are fully informed of engagement progress and logistics.
- Prepare and organize engagement work papers and files.
Implementation of SALT Initiatives
- Assist firm SALT Director in identifying efficiency based SALT initiatives to implement throughout the firm.
- Work with partners/managers throughout the firm in identifying clients that may benefit from Sales Tax Compliance services
- Assist with the development and implementation of external marketing programs.
- Provide technical support and/or project management for projects arising from SALT initiatives.
Communication of SALT Developments
- Keep abreast of significant current developments and new legislation within multi-state taxation.
- Analyze and provide written summaries of significant developments to be used for Cherry Bekaert newsletters and website postings.
- Identify developments having a potentially significant impact on client base, and follow up with internal and/or external communications as deemed appropriate.
- Take responsibility for subordinates’ activities and chargeability.Effectively delegate and manage work given to staff.
- Develop team processes and systems to improve the productivity and growth of the business.
- Provide regular performance feedback as well as deliver timely performance evaluations.
- Develop subordinates’ technical and industry skills and encourage growth.
- Gain the respect and confidence of the partners through clear and concise team direction.
Personal and Professional Development
- Earn confidence, trust and respect from clients and colleagues.
- Continue developing Sales Tax knowledge and expertise.
- Develop a thorough understanding of all tax, audit, and consulting services provided by the firm.Link this understanding to potential client needs.
- Demonstrate initiative, vision, resourcefulness, creativity, and independent thinking.
- Demonstrate sound business judgment.
- Develop an ability to motivate and train both self and staff.
- Identify and pursue outside business contacts through social, charitable, and business organizations.Become an active participant in these networking channels.
- Pursue professional development through public speaking, seminar delivery, and through the writing of articles.
- Actively participate in Cherry Bekaert internal development and external programs, as appropriate, including staff training courses.
- Education/Certifications: Bachelor’s business degree; CPA or CMI is a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive State and Local Tax of compliance experience in a Big 4, large regional public accounting firm, or industry with multi-state responsibility.
- Experience with Vertex.
- Proven competence with MS Office, particularly Excel.Experience with Alteryx is a plus.
- Solid organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to multi-task.
- Candidates must demonstrate they are eligible to work in the United States.
- Available for Work Sponsorship: No
What you can expect from us:
- Shared values, including uncompromising integrity, a passion for excellence and mutual respect
- Collaborative environment focused on career and leadership development
- Flexible work arrangements with generous PTO
- Competitive salary and bonus program
- “Dress for your Day” policy
Already a member? Sign In