Scientist II, Molecular POC
San Diego, CA, USA | Becton Dickinson & Company
Job Description:52 people have viewed this job
BD is seeking a Scientist II to work within a team that develops new point-of-care assays for human in vitro diagnostic use, using nucleic acid isolation, amplification, and detection technologies. The Scientist II will assist in the design, development, integration, and qualification of assays and/or specimen processing workflows. The associate applies laboratory, scientific, and analytical skills to execute experiments and resolve technical challenges. Works under the direction of Senior Scientists, Staff Scientists, or Sr. Staff Scientists.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilizes a broad range of practical techniques in molecular biology and chemistry.
- Executes experiments and plans appropriate follow-up experiments.
- Develops and/or adapts procedures to meet specific objectives and solve problems.
- Analyzes and interprets data.
- Summarizes studies in written and/or oral reports that synthesize results into a working hypothesis and details future experimental plans.
- Executes protocols for formal verification under Design Control. Might help draft protocols, reports, and other Design Control deliverables.
- Is responsible for the maintenance of complex laboratory equipment and facilities.
- Responsible for ordering and maintaining adequate quantities of laboratory supplies.
- Maintains current knowledge of major technological and scientific developments in molecular diagnostics, and leverages this knowledge within responsibility areas.
- Provides technical input to other scientists and provides support to other functional groups.
- Might assist with product quality investigations.
- Might also provide support in execution of clinical studies to validate system performance and assemble data in support of regulatory submissions.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Skilled with a variety of complex laboratory procedures and instruments.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new laboratory procedures.
- Working knowledge of scientific method, experimental design, data analysis, and results interpretation. Understanding of the theory of measurement, sources of error, and comparative advantages of different methodologies.
- Proficiency in a range of techniques in molecular biology including nucleic acid extraction and amplification is required. Meticulous technique in handling of nucleic acids is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a team, under direction, and independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of BS or BA degree in Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Bio/Biomedical Engineering, or related discipline – or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant academic, clinical, or industry lab work required.
- Work experience in a laboratory requiring meticulous technique in the handling of nucleic acids.
- Experience in processing clinical specimens for the recovery of nucleic acids, together with a strong background in microbiology, virology, and/or clinical laboratory science is preferred.
- Experience in diagnostic product development under Design Control is preferred.
- Experience handling infectious biological samples and working in a cGMP environment are preferred.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Already a member? Sign In