Senior Director of Advancement
Knoxville, TN, USA | University of Tennessee
Job Description:51 people have viewed this job
The University of Tennessee, College of Law located in Knoxville enjoys a rich tradition of providing sound legal education and boasts the longest-running legal clinical program in the country. Founded in 1890, the college prepares tomorrow’s lawyers through clinical and skills training, innovative classroom teaching, legal writing, and professional values. UT Law is accredited by the American Bar Association and is a charter member of the Association of American Law Schools.
Today, the College of Law has built an expansive alumni network that provides students with mentoring and employment opportunities. From the early days, alumni outreach has been a vital objective of the law school. The Alumni Association of the College was founded in 1911 with the express goal of putting the law school “on a high plane of efficiency.” Today, more than 7,900 UT Law alumni live and work throughout the United States in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and 10 foreign countries.
UT Law has an excellent reputation:
• U.S. News and World Report ranks UT 59th among all US law schools and 30th among public law schools.
• U.S. News also ranks our clinical program 19th among all US law schools and 10th among all public law schools.
• For more than 70 years, UT Law has been home to the oldest legal clinic program in the country.
Our graduates hit the ground running after graduation. Based on the American Bar Association’s employment survey of 2013 law graduates, UT Law’s graduates fared better in securing jobs than their counterparts nationwide: 65.3 percent of our grads were employed in long-term, full-time positions requiring bar passage, compared to 57 percent of grads nationwide, and 53.3 percent of our grads were employed in private-practice law firms, compared to 41.6 percent nationwide.
The University of Tennessee Foundation seeks applications and nominations for an experienced, creative, highly-organized, and motivated leader with exceptional fundraising skills to serve as Senior Director of Advancement for the College of Law in Knoxville.
The Senior Director of Advancement will provide strategic leadership and overall supervision for the development efforts within the College of Law, which represents an alumni base in excess of 7,900. The staff includes one direct report of a Director of Development, and indirect reports of one Annual Giving Coordinator, one Administrative Assistant and student workers. Furthermore, this person will work closely with six regional major gift officers, five corporate and foundation officers, and three planned giving officers to maximize support for the College of Law.
In addition to these leadership responsibilities, this position will maintain a significant prospect portfolio working with some of the university’s most generous alumni and friends. It is anticipated that this position will make 180+ visits, drive 30+ proposals with over half at six figures or more, and close gifts exceeding $3 million annually.
This person will work closely with the Dean and have the opportunity to interact with numerous faculty and other senior leadership across campus. They will look to this person to foster a successful fundraising environment for the college, while being collaborative across the university.
The Senior Director of Advancement reports directly to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Advancement within the UT Foundation.
The successful candidate must have a:
• Bachelor’s Degree required, J.D. preferred
• Proven successful track record of eight plus years’ experience in marketing, communications, volunteer management, fundraising, budget preparation and analysis, or program development and implementation or related.
• Minimum of 2 years of direct supervision required.
• Aggressive sales mentality with the ability to provide strategic leadership. Strong customer service orientation; strong oral and written communications skills; customer-centered thinking.
• An individual with talents in leadership, collaboration, organization, and strategic thinking.
• Ability and willingness to travel extensively.
• Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action
• Experience in and/or direct familiarity with capital campaigns, annual giving, and planned giving.
• Knowledge of fundraising databases, with a preference for experience with BSR systems.
• Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, and related software.
• Ability to serve a diverse constituency.
Alrdeady a member? Sign In