Senior DSP/ Control Software Engineer - Medical Technology
Cambridge, United Kingdom | Cambridge Consultants
Functions:IT / Information Technology
Job Description:54 people have viewed this job
To specify, design, develop and test digital filters, control algorithms and control software for surgical, drug delivery and digital health applications.
Many of the systems you will be working on will include electronics, optics, fluidics, robotics and UI components thus requiring, on top of your software development skills, an all-round engineering knowledge, attention to the details and good teamwork.
Each project is different, and you will get involved at all stages of the product development lifecycle.
As a senior, we would expect you to be involved in multiple projects simultaneously, taking responsibility for the delivery of the assigned task.
What we can offer
The Medical Software Group is part of the Medical Technology Division which undertakes development projects in four focus areas:
- Clinical diagnostics and instrumentation.
- Surgical products and medical systems.
- Drug delivery devices.
- Digital Health.
Recent project work includes:
- Control software for large systems comprising multiple interconnected processors and involving large code bases and geographically distributed teams.
- Software for tiny, resource-constrained microcontrollers that form part of cost-sensitive products to be manufactured in high volumes.
- Safety-critical software for surgical systems.
- Computer vision-based diagnostics software.
- Software to enable wireless communication between components of medical devices.
- Medical software for mobile platforms.
- Exciting user interfaces developed in conjunction with our industrial designers.
We work using industry best practises including continuous integration, test-driven development and code generation.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Providing technical leadership in your area of expertise.
- Working within a multidisciplinary team do develop software architectures, specifications and test protocols.
- Delivery of high-quality design documentation according to medical regulations.
- Delivery of high-quality code, according to specifications.
- Perform tests, code reviews, and other quality assurance tasks.
- Fast prototyping in support of proof of principle activities.
- Carrying out your specific project tasks within the timescales and budgets agreed with the project manager.
There are many other aspects to the work in addition to design and development, including the participation in work estimation, the presentation of results to clients or the participation in concept-generation sessions.
As your experience develops you will be given the opportunity to take on further responsibilities such as project team leadership or project management.
You will be expected to work on multiple projects at once.
The role may include some travel.
What you can bring
To meet the requirements of this role, in addition to good degree in a relevant subject such as Software Engineering, Computer Science, Electronics Engineering, Biomedical engineering or Applied Mathematics you will have the following core skills:
- Excellent theoretical knowledge of digital signal processing and control theory.
- Experience in modelling of dynamic systems, designing control algorithms and digital filters using MATLAB/Simulink or other equivalent simulation tools.
- Sound experience in the design, and implementation DSP or control solutions, or other numerical algorithms, on embedded systems.
- Experience in the use of numeric computation and simulation packages such as MATLAB, Simulink, NumPy.
- An understanding of the software development life cycle and related tools and practices such as continuous integration and test driven development.
- Good oral and written communication and presentation skills.
In addition, any experience of the following would be advantageous:
- Experience in the use rapid development techniques such as hardware-in-the-loop (e.g., using hardware tools from National Instruments or dSPACE) or software-in-the-loop.
- Experience with software development in a regulated industry (such as medical, nuclear, defence, or aerospace) or the automotive industry.
- Experience in processing biomedical signals.
- Experience in programming under an RTOS.
- Experience in developing production software in C/C++/Python.
- Knowledge or experience in robotics.
- Knowledge or experience in image processing.
- Knowledge of software and system modelling using UML or SysML.
This role requires both a sound theoretical knowledge and implementation skills.
- Competitive salary reviewed anually
- Company profit share
- Generous pension
- Hybrid working model
- Flexible working hours and location
- 25 days annual leave plus public holidays, with flexibility to carry over / borrow
- Comprehensive insurance - Life, disability, private healthcare and travel insurance (business & leisure)
- Enhanced family leave benefit of 13 weeks full-pay parental leave for those that meet qualifying criteria
- Career development and training opportunities
- Social committee
- Discounted train season tickets, through Travel Plan Plus
- If travelling to Cambridge by train; Free shuttle service to/from Cambridge North train station, through Cambridge Science Park
- Whilst in the office; Free canteen - breakfast, lunch & refreshments
- A comprehensive relocation package is available, if applicable
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees' careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.
Already a member? Sign In