Senior Product Designer
New York, NY, USA | Fastly
Industry:Internet / Online Media
Functions:Design / Graphic Design
Job Description:74 people have viewed this job
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Senior Product Designer
Fastly goes beyond performance, beyond speed – we’re an extension of a company’s application enabling businesses to build better, faster products. As a Product Designer you will help us redefine what’s possible with the way the world experiences the internet. You will focus on translating complex business problems into highly-intuitive, design solutions and act as the user advocate throughout the product development life cycle.
What You'll Do
- You’ll partner with Product Managers to identify and ideate on design solutions to meet customer expectations and business requirements. Translate design solutions into navigation flows, wireframes, visual designs, and rapid prototypes. Continuously iterate over designs to improve the user experience.
- You’ll partner with Engineers closely to evaluate design alternatives, ensure that solutions are technically feasible and reuse established interaction patterns and UI components when appropriate
- You’ll plan and conduct user research, including: usability testing, contextual interviews, task analysis and surveys. Share findings from research in a presentation setting.
- You’ll collaborate on the Fastly design system, making recommendations for new patterns and standardized practices
- You’ll keep on forefront in advances in tools and processes in the design community and recommend improvements to Fastly processes
- You’ll provide expert design feedback and guidance for other product design team members
- You’ll lead workshops with Product, Marketing and Engineering teams in design thinking, customer journey mapping exercises, and other brainstorming sessions
What We're Looking For
- You have 7+ years experience designing interfaces for web applications or equivalent
- You have a strong design portfolio of work with a proven track record for creating end-to-end design solutions and creating intuitive interfaces for customers
- You are an effective communicator and problem solver who can present user research and design solutions in company-wide meetings
- You are skilled at explaining your design intentions to cross-functional teams and incorporate their feedback to improve your work
- You have experience with user research methodologies and usability testing tools.
- You have expert proficiency with InVision, Sketch, Figma, or similar design and prototyping tools
- You have a BA/BS degree in Interaction Design, HCI, Graphic Design, or similar field.
We value a variety of voices, so this is not a laundry list. You’ll be a good candidate if you have experience in SOME of these:
- Experience with GitHub
- Experience with web analytic platform
- Experience with writing HTML/CSS code
- Experience writing microcopy for user interfaces
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply!
Already a member? Sign In