Senior Scientist/Principal Scientist, Cancer Biology
San Francisco, CA, USA | Loxo Oncology, Inc.
Industry:Pharmaceutical / Biotech
Job Description:54 people have viewed this job
Loxo Oncology at Lilly conducts discovery research, clinical development and regulatory affairs for oncology, with the goal of creating a pipeline of therapies that have the potential to make a meaningful difference for patients. Loxo Oncology at Lilly was created in December 2019, combining the Lilly Research Laboratories oncology organization and Loxo Oncology, which was acquired by Lilly in early 2019. The unit has team members in Louisville, CO, Indianapolis, IN, New York City, NY, South San Francisco, CA, San Diego, CA, Stamford, CT, and Madrid, Spain.
With a strong background in cancer biology, the Senior/Principal Scientist will support lab-based research projects associated with Loxo Oncology at Lilly’s discovery and development programs. This entails independently planning and executing experiments focused on developing a deep understanding of target biology and drug mechanisms of action. The successful candidate will achieve these objectives by prioritizing scientific rigor, by exhibiting a “can-do” approach to solving complex challenges, and by effectively collaborating with Loxo Oncology at Lilly discovery and development team members.
Roles and Responsibilities for the Position
• Drive and execute studies to investigate mechanisms of cancer cell growth and survival in support of the discovery and development of new cancer therapeutics.
• Establish and perform state-of-the-art cell-based and biochemical assays.
• Design and execute cross-assay validation studies.
• Identify and evaluate new technologies to advance drug discovery and development.
• Analyze and interpret data, with ability to troubleshoot assays.
• Organize and coordinate multiple projects in parallel.
• Identify, evaluate, and manage vendors for outsourced services and studies.
• Prepare and present scientific results at congresses and in peer-reviewed journals.
Required Background and Qualifications
• PhD in in biology, molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry or related discipline, with 3+ years of lab-based experience in a biotech/pharma setting.
• Proven track record in design and development of robust assays to study protein expression, protein turnover and protein-protein and protein-small molecule interactions (e.g. MSD, HTRF, AlphaLISA, co-immunoprecipitation etc.).
• Extensive experience with aseptic mammalian cell culture and familiarity with solid tumor and/or hematologic cell lines is preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to engineer knock-in & knockout cell lines with CRISPR and/or other technologies.
• Self-organized, detail-oriented, self-directed, highly motivated with strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
• Willingness to work collaboratively and incorporate diverse perspectives into decision-making.
• Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a nimble, fast-paced, matrixed environment.
Loxo Oncology, Inc. (Loxo) currently anticipates that the base salary for the Senior Scientist position level could range from between $89,750 to $131,672 and that the base salary for the Principal Scientist position level could range from between $103,200 to $151,423 and will depend, in part, on the successful candidate’s qualifications for the role, including education and experience. This position also will be eligible for a company bonus (depending, in part, on company and individual performance). In addition, Loxo provides a comprehensive benefit program to eligible employees, including vacation, medical, dental and vision benefits; participation in a 401(k) plan; life and accidental death and disability coverage; parental leave benefits and employee discounts for certain items. The compensation described above is subject to change and could be higher or lower than the range described above. Further, Loxo reserves the right to amend, modify, or terminate its compensation and benefit programs in its sole discretion.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the role and responsibilities satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Already a member? Sign In