Senior Software Architect
Edinburgh, United Kingdom | General Electric
Industry:Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas
Functions:IT / Information Technology
Job Description:54 people have viewed this job
As the world's energy sector moves away from fossil fuels toward renewable energy sources, industrial companies are challenged with addressing this transition in transformative ways. Digitization will be key to making power-generating assets more efficient, making the electric grid more secure and resilient and accelerating the addition of renewables to the electric grid. GE Digital is leading this digital transformation.
As a senior Software Architect for our next generation solutions you will take a hands-on approach with our development teams and customers to provide technical direction and leadership in a fast-paced Agile development environment. You will be responsible for driving the design and development efforts related to architecture, scalability, availability, and performance in alignment with the innovation project roadmaps.
We are looking for engineers who are passionate about revolutionising the power system, understand the complexities around low-carbon energy and can apply innovative solutions to bring about change.
Roles and Responsibilities
In this role, you will:
- Lead the architecture and design of enterprise on-premise and cloud-based applications.
- Gather and analyse architectural requirements at a project and portfolio strategy level .
- Lead the architecture and design efforts across multiple product versions.
- Work with Product Managers and Business Analysts to understand and scope product requirements and vision.
- Participate in technical strategy planning.
- Be an expert in core data structures as well as algorithms and have the ability to implement them using language of choice when necessary.
- Be comfortable with modern DevOps practices and provide necessary guidance to your development team.
- Lead the research and evaluation of emerging technology, industry and market trends to assist in project development and operational support activities.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) with advanced experience.
- Experience delivering large solutions, ideally cloud-based
- Knowledge and experience in containerisation
- Experience in using back-end technology (Java, PHP. Ruby).
- Experience in the following technologies would be beneficial: Kafka, Angular 2, React, Unity, Cesium
- Knowledge of UI testing frameworks
- Knowledge of Web Security principles - OWASP
- Experience of working with PostGres, RabbitMQ and Redis would be beneficial
- A strong understanding of application architectures, with an emphasis on modern web architectures, and the ability to define and explain architectural direction and roadmap
- You will be a natural innovator, comfortable in a variety of technologies - both front and back end - transferring your skills into new development environments and technologies.
- Knowledgeable about developments in UX in various contexts, businesses, and industries.
- An understanding of Power Systems, Grid Control Systems and GIS technology in electrical and telecommunication domains would be beneficial.
- A constant learner who spreads that knowledge with others, coaching and encouraging the rest of the team.
- Effectively directs and mentor others. Proactively engages with cross-functional teams to resolve issues and design solutions.
- Influences others toward a common vision and goal.
- Innovates and integrates new processes and technology to significantly add value to GE, our customers and our partners.
Already a member? Sign In