Eastleigh, United Kingdom | General Electric
Industry:Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas
Job Description:52 people have viewed this job
This a great opportunity to join our Aircraft Services Business. As an Engineer in our Software team, you will be responsible for the Software Engineering in developing safety-critical software for aircraft systems. You will relish architecting a design to meet the customer’s requirements that stand the test of time. Most importantly, you will be passionate about implementing software solutions that meet those requirements! You will have experience of verification & validation, and you will thrive on solving technical problems, in collaboration with other engineering functions.
You will be joining an inclusive and diverse team of experienced technical systems and software engineers who care about ensuring full-lifecycle completeness and consistency. We are committed to improving our project execution through taking a lean and innovative approach to problem-solving and continuous improvement. We share technical knowledge and lessons learnt with others in the team, the department and across the wider engineering organisation. We are passionate about professional growth and developing our team culture, capability & capacity to meet customer needs whilst enabling every engineer to reach their potential through continuous learning. If this sounds like an environment in which you would thrive, then this could be the next role for you.
As a Software Engineer in the Aircraft Services department, you will:
- Act as a member of the Software team, representing the face of high quality design and development practices, working closely with cross-functional teams in understanding customer needs, collecting requirements, designing & implementing software, and driving feature integration
- Write code that adheres to coding standards and delivers desired functionality using the appropriate technology for the project/product
- Design and document application software that will meet the requirements of DO-178C, mostly at level D
- Assure proper documentation of technical data generated for the assigned projects and/or tasks consistent with engineering policies and procedure
- Generate Estimates for coding solutions and enhancements to meet customer requirements to support technical proposals.
- Participate in Root Cause Analysis Activities and support resolution of complex & challenging issues
- Participate on teams assigned to address organizational initiatives and generic issues
By joining the GE Aviation team at Southampton, you will have the opportunity to move projects and roles to provide variety and grow your responsibility as your experience increases.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Previous experience in an aviation, automotive or similar software development environment is helpful as it demonstrates understanding of working to rigorous industry mandated development standards; for example, DO178 or MISRA. This shows a knowledge of working with complex software systems to industry best practice.
- An appropriate degree or HND in Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Information Systems, Information Technology Engineering or Computer Science or similar, or equivalent experience shows a logical mindset, alongside good problem solving and solution building skills. Demonstrable experience in object oriented design methodology and various programming languages, including C# .net and C++, SQL, Azure DevOps, Terraform.
- Experience of the software design lifecycle will help you in activities such as capturing, understanding and documenting the customer’s requirements. Strong understanding of what makes a good requirement and how this impacts validation. Good appreciation of source control is essential. Knowledge of different verification strategies will aid in creating, updating and performing software tests – be it script-based automated tests, or writing procedures for manual actions.
- You will be required to work in a team environment, so good written and verbal communication skills will make you (& the team) most effective. You will be asked to participate in technical reviews within the Aircraft Services team to share technical knowledge and solutions, as well as even the end customer! A positive attitude, initiative, pro-activeness and an enthusiasm and passion for software engineering will help you succeed in the department.
- Familiarity with tools such as DOORS, Rally and Jira, code design (e.g.Enterprise Architect or UML), as well as experience with continuous Integration, Build and Test practices would also be advantageous as we continue to improve our product portfolio and the way we develop software solutions.
- Our goal as a team is to demonstrate success in achieving and exceeding customer expectations.
Does this sound like something you would like to be part of?
GE supports and encourages flexible working arrangements, where possible, and recognises the benefits to employees of having a positive work-life balance.
At GE Aviation we understand the importance of Total Reward.Our flexible benefits plan, called FlexChoice, gives you freedom, choice and flexibility in the way you receive your benefits, as well as giving you the opportunity to make savings where possible.
As a new joiner to GE we are pleased to be able to offer you the following as default in your benefit fund, which you then can tailor to meet your individual needs;
- Non-contributory Pension
- Life Assurance
- Group income protection
- Private medical cover
- Holiday Hourly equivalent of 26 days, with flexible option to buy or sell
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance: BPSS
Right to Work
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, under the applicable UK immigration rules as may be in place from time to time, it may be that candidates who do not currently have the right to work in the UK may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled candidate who does not require sponsorship is available to take up the post.
Already a member? Sign In