Sr. Principal Engineer Structural
Redondo Beach, CA, USA | Northrop Grumman
Job Description:59 people have viewed this job
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
The Antenna Products Department is looking for a Senior Principal Engineer Structural to perform Mechanical Design Engineering in the department. This position is based in Redondo Beach, CA.
The selected candidate will have knowledge and experience with Antenna hardware and design practices. The ideal candidate will possess knowledge of RF components and assemblies, and spacecraft structures including primary/secondary structures made of metallic materials, advanced composites & Honeycomb constructions. This individual will be knowledgeable of material strengths and properties, design criteria, loading conditions and processes (e.g. non-destructive testing, composite assemblies, etc). Experience with environmental testing requirements and experience with mechanical testing such as: structural static test, thermal cycle test, random & vibration tests to demonstrate qualification / acceptance of spacecraft structures.
- Primary mechanical RDE responsibilities for antenna hardware develop program scope
- Design using CREO, Catia 5, NX or other 3-D cad system.
- Coordination of design requirements and implementations across the multi-disciplined IPT supporting team members
- Application of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Creation, execution and oversight of preliminary layouts, design trades, engineering drawings, and environmental test plans
- Oversight of discrepant hardware process
- Bachelors degree in a STEM related field from an accredited institution and 9+ years of experience; 7+ years with a STEM Master's degree; 4+ years with a STEM PhD degree.
- Knowledge of spacecraft structures including primary/secondary structure made of metallic, advance composites, and/or Honeycomb materials and construction
- Experience and proficiency with CREO, Catia 5, NX or other 3-D CAD system creating and releasing solid models and associated 2-D production drawings
- Experience with discrepant hardware diagnostics and disposition processing
- Experience and proficiency with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience with environmental testing requirements and with mechanical testing
- Candidate must have and be able to maintain an active U.S. Government security clearance at the Top Secret level with a background investigation date within 6 years, OR must have and be able to maintain an active U.S. Government SCI access with a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within the last 5 years.
- Masters’ Degree or PhD in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- Experience with Class A mechanical design and production of Antenna Reflector and RF feeds for space applications
- Control Account Management (CAM) experience