Sr. Principal Network Engineer
Fairfax, VA, USA | Northrop Grumman
Functions:IT / Information Technology
Job Description:48 people have viewed this job
In this role, the successful candidate will design and plan network communication systems. Provide specifications and detailed schematics for network architecture. The candidate must able to troubleshoot and isolate network faults and failures in a LAN/WAN environment. Provide specific detailed information for hardware and software selections, implementation techniques and tools for the most efficient solution to meet business needs, including present and future capacity requirements. Conduct testing of network design. Maintain technical expertise in all areas of network and computer hardware and software interconnections and interfacing, such as routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, multiplexers, hubs, bridges, gateways, etc. Evaluate and report on new communication technologies to enhance capabilities of the network.
The positions are normally day shift hours, but there will be periods where off hours work will be required. The Candidate may be required to be part of an on-call rotation.
• Bachelor’s (in a STEM related field – Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) Degree and 9 years of experience, Master’s degree and 7 years of experience
• U.S. Citizenship required. An active TS/SCI clearance based on current SSBI (within 5 years) and a polygraph are required for this position.
• Solid understanding of the OSI or TCP/IP model.
• Understanding of common commercial implementations of IP networks; including experience with network routing protocols and tunneling control plane protocols found in IP networks
• Wide Area Knowledge, Local Area Knowledge, advanced IP network knowledge, advanced firewall knowledge
• Experience with Network configuration and troubleshooting
• Experience with securing network systems (including commercial IP networks)
• Understanding L2 and L3 switch and route network protocols
• Understanding of NEXUS virtualization concepts an able to install, implement and administer with minimal oversight
• Strong verbal/writing communication skills, along with the ability to work well in a government facility within a multi-contractor (badgeless) team environment
• Design, architect, implementation, and administration skills related to a ground enterprise communications network
• Must be able to administer local and remote systems in a dynamic enterprise where there are unmanned facilities managed from a centralized location
• Advanced knowledge and understanding of how to coordinate with external Wide Area Network (WAN) transport providers providing design and throughput requirements for connectivity.
• Understanding of design and implementation and maintenance of Dynamic Multiple Virtual Private Networks (DMVPN) and how to ensure implementations provide secure communications across WANs via advanced encryption methods
• Designed and implemented routing infrastructure via Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) ensuring support to enterprise wide routing infrastructure
• Implement and administer multiple multi-level security controlled network segments interconnected via multi-vender enterprise level firewalls
• Designed. Integrated, and administer external connectivity to support all customers across the Wide Area Network, coordinating with multiple external transport providers guaranteeing reliability requirements are met
• Mentors, teaches and trains junior personnel in program network designs and architecture to ensure future requirements are planned for and met