Sr. Principal Systems Engineer
Dulles, VA, USA | Northrop Grumman
Job Description:55 people have viewed this job
This Systems Engineering position is for an engineering support role on a Civil and Commercial Satellites (CCS) program within at Northrop Grumman. The job responsibilities will be as an individual-contributor and deliverable/product lead within a multi-disciplinary engineering team. Successful candidate will perform traditional Systems Engineering functions, including requirements synthesis and flow-down, verification/validation planning, system trades study support, systems analysis, coordination of design efforts, and management of technical budgets & interface definitions. Responsibilities will also include interaction with program, functional and customer leadership.
In this role, the Systems Engineer will perform duties contributing to general mission or space vehicle systems engineering activities, which may include requirements flow down, tracking, verification, and the writing of complex specifications, interface control documents, and engineering reports from advanced studies, special engineering investigations, and similar activities. Tasks may also include harness interface design, mechanical systems support, Command & Telemetry database development, and space vehicle configuration modeling. The candidate must be knowledgeable in aerospace systems, spacecraft subsystems design, or mission operations. Advanced modeling & analyses relating to mission and technical problems may be required in support of development or mission operations teams. Position will also include responsibilities relating to integration, testing, and operational readiness of spacecraft and payloads. Candidate may be called on to assist in new business activities, such as conceptual design and analysis for proposals and funded studies, and may include authoring sections for both.
In this role, the Systems Engineer will perform analysis, design, or test of one or more moderately complex (or portions of complex) mechanical/structural components, subsystems, and/or functional systems. The candidate will analyze requirements for mechanical/structural component, subsystem, and/or functional systems. The candidate should be able to select applicable analytical data from previous systems, determine the technical principles involved, mathematically define the problem and compute the engineering characteristics consistent with the specifications, design needs and requirements of other portions of the system, and follow up by releasing the results as design data (once reviewed by a higher graded engineer). The engineer will develop original ideas, elaborate on preliminary design concepts, evaluate completed designs with their program/functional supervisors and other technical groups, and make the necessary design modifications to achieve the best design within the program constraints. The candidate may also develop and coordinate the conduct of test programs required to evaluate design work.
Desired experience includes Requirements Management Tools such as DOORS, Cradle, or CORE, and various analysis engineering tools, such as MATLAB, MATHCAD, and STK. Actual spacecraft operations and related ground systems expertise is always a plus. Additional experience in any of the following areas is also desired: orbital mechanics, power systems modeling, avionics or digital electronics design, telecommunications design, risk analysis, thermal design and analysis, or integration and testing (either at the spacecraft or payload level).
- Provide support to selected elements of the program Systems Engineering Team
- Support and deliver SE Products and other deliverables, with a focus on mission success
- Troubleshoot and develop solutions to challenging Engineering problems
- Contribute to the technical management of program elements
- Provide systems engineering support for technical reviews
- Write status and technical performance reviews, analyses and reports
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in an Engineering or related field
- Nine years of related experience
- Thorough understanding of the Systems Engineering process
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Aptitude for understanding system and subsystem interactions
- Experience defining requirements and interfaces
- Understanding of spacecraft integration & test, launch, and mission operations
- Experience with human spaceflight vehicle development including integration & test
- Experience developing verification documentation
- Experience with architecture development
- Master’s degree in a technical discipline (with five years of professional experience)
Alrdeady a member? Sign In