Sr Principal Systems Engineer
Herndon, VA, USA | General Dynamics
Job Description:53 people have viewed this job
The successful candidate will develop unique and security customer information systems that communicate between world-wide sites with operational stability, integrity, security, and efficiency.The candidate must have experience designing adn managing secure information systems and performing engineering level analysis of operational systems.
He or she will support the requirements, design and development, functional testing, and deployment of specialized applications for secure end-to-end telecommunication systems. Capable of developing custom scripts using Linux Shells, Python, PERL, and/or C++ for managing server logs, traffic routing controls, backing up systems, and monitoring server health. This individual will be responsible for developing custom communications between laptops/workstations and routers/switches/firewalls which are operationally focused to meet both quick reaction and strategic changes to customer mission objectives. There are minimal (1 to 2 annual) requirements to travel CONUS/OCONUS. Understanding and developing O&M requirements into new systems to allow for maintaining custom system(s) with current security patches and up-to-date operating systems.
1. Performs complex systems development and design work that may include logic design, I/O design, firmware development, model formulation, manufacturing and development cost projections, computer architecture analysis and design, and analog or digital systems engineering.
2. Designing and developing customer systems to meet cyber security requirements on various platforms to include : Linux, CentOS, Ubuntu, and/or RHEL, Python scripting, Linux kernel development especially in networking and packet filtering, user account management, managing Linux images, and networking with Windows.
3. Demonstrated experience in overseeing the design, development, and implementation of software systems, applications, and related products.
4. Demonstrated experience with systems planning, security principles, and general software mangagement best practices.
5. Strong understanding of firewalls and server configurations to minimize exposure to any vulnerabilities and block known bad IP addresses, ports, host names, adn files.
6. Understanding user accounts and data access controls with Active Directory Services.
7. Established LDAP for managing user credentials and groups, and integrated applications on standalone systems.
8. Experience with anti-virus scanning and updates.
9. Thorough understanding of TCP/IP.
10. Practical experience with OpenVPN and IPSec tunneling from Linux servers to other networking devices.
11. Encrypting all transmissions with SSL and VPN protocols.
12. Ability to set-up/configure servers with HTTPS certificates for secure websites.
13. Ability to conduct research into systems issues and products as required.
14. Strong debugging, troubleshooting, and performace tuning skills.
15. Ability to follow good engineering and programming practices.
16. Ability to communicate effectively with peers and support staff to highlight and clarify software and system design elements.
17. Performs systems modeling, simulation, and analysis.
18. Plans upgrades of operating systems and designs systems enhancements.
19. Develops documentation on new or existing systems.
20. Develops and conducts tests to ensure systems meet documented user requirements.
21. Identifies, analyzes, and resolves system problems.
22. Provides system/equipment/specialized training and technical guidance.
23. Determines system specifications, input/output processes, and working parameters for hardware/software compatibility.
24. Provides guidance and work leadership to less-experienced systems engineers and may have supervisory responsibility.
25. May serve as a technical team or task lead.
26. Serves as liaison with clients, participating in meetings to ensure client needs are met.
27. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.
28. Participates in special projects as required.
1. Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline.
2. Masters Degree preferred.
10-15 years of related systems engineering experience.
Experience with the following is preferred :
Windows Server 2016 or current
Windows 10 or current
Windows Server Update Service (WSUS)
Ability to investigate, mine, and correlate data related to cybersecurity events using Splunk software or other comparable application
Microsoft SharePoint 2016
Microsoft Skype for Business
Building deployable server configurations utilizing Foreman and Puppet
Supporting "Infrastructure as Code" (IaC) approach to deployment and cloud management (AWS EC2/CloudFormation, Red Hat Ansible, Chef, SaltStack and/or HashiCorp Terraform)
Good project management skills
Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
Already a member? Sign In