Staff NPD Injection Molding Engineer
Franklin Lakes, NJ, USA | Becton Dickinson & Company
Job Description:80 people have viewed this job
Reporting to the Specimen Management New Product Development (NPD) Molding Group Leader is responsible for providing Design for Manufacturability (DFM) input for molded products, developing and qualifying molding tooling for new products and processes, and providing direct support to assigned Core Teams in support of the business GPDS strategy.
Knowledge & Problem Solving
- Define requirements for NPD products that require polymer molding to be manufactured. This includes Thermoplastics and general knowledge of Elastomers and Thermosets.
- Subject matter expert in scientific molding and mold tooling part / tooling estimation. Defines requirements and processes that are aligned with the IDS molding and mold build standards and follow cGMP standards as well as align with project and product budgetary requirements.
- Responsible for the development of prototype, pilot and production molding tooling and processes for BD IDS - Specimen Management products to support NPD and business needs. This includes but is not limited to injection molding processes and automation, from concept evaluation through commercialization.
- Primary activity includes applying Injection Molding DFM for molding tooling and processes that are suitable for high volume manufacturing from concept inception through production launch. This role works closely with R&D, Quality and IDS Specimen Management manufacturing locations to develop new products and to prepare them for production launch.
- Develop specifications for part design, analyzes part tolerances for high volume manufacturing, knowledge of molding machine settings, operating procedures, acceptance and validation test plans and protocols.
- Provide technology input to guide product development and design for manufacturability.
- Cooperatively advises and directs activities of vendors and plant technicians to accomplish project objectives.
- Demonstrates complete understanding of a wide application of technical principles, theories and concepts in a manufacturing process technology. Has general knowledge of other process technologies. Provides technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems. Solutions are imaginative, thorough, and practical.
Discretion / Latitude
- Works under general direction. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions.
- Determines and pursues courses of action necessary to obtain desired results.Assignments are often self-initiated.
- Works independently in development of project plans, and respective execution by prioritizing completion of assignments.
- Communicate, coordinate and execute tool design and injection molding process development activities including tooling validation into manufacturing locations.
- Works with cross functional team to investigate & implement solutions to major manufacturing issues.
- Must be able to follow IDS Specimen Management GPDS strategies while owning responsibilities for molding tooling and process projects. Understanding of Phase Gate and Step Plan requirements and execute as required.
- Manages assigned projects, using advanced project management tools, providing tracking and regular updates of project plan and project budget.
- Successfully manages projects to from design, prototype, and build through commercial launch. Required to initiate, plan, execute, monitor, control, and close these projects efficiently within budget constraints.
- Communicates, coordinates and leads effort to engage cross functional team members and leadership on activities such as Mold sampling, Mold FAT’s, equipment SAT’s, manufacturing sample runs at BD locations, or suppliers’ sites.
- Develops specifications and acceptance protocols to purchase production injection molds and molding equipment. Manages vendors in the design, development and implementation of injection molds, equipment and work cells.
- Responsible for mold and tool process development and respective protocols from prototype stage to full commercial scale. Full understanding of engineering studies, design of experiments (DOE) and statistical software such as Minitab. Supports BD manufacturing sites with validation protocols and execution of IQ, OQ, PQ.
- Provides input into project technical strategy. Applies six-sigma and lean manufacturing methodologies to optimize injection molding processes.
- Leads and executes tool design DFM activities. Can evaluate and modify solid models, use mold flow simulation techniques, along with mold cavity process monitoring instrumentation.
- Define requirements for injection molding processes, automation, and other technologies from concept evaluation through pilot production, process optimization, validation, and commercialization.
Cross Functional Collaboration
- Works with Quality, R&D, Clinical and Regulatory team members to ensure successful implementation of projects.
- Works with diverse functions and manufacturing sites to achieve project goals.
- Collaborates with teams of engineers and technicians and coordinate resources to achieve project and business goals.
- Provide automation technical support to Project/Process Engineers if applicable, in investigations such as: Corrective and Preventive Actions, Customer Complaints and Quality Notifications.
Possible travel required up to 25% for short time periods.
Bachelor’s Degree in Plastics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related technical discipline.
- Prefer a minimum of 7 years relevant experience in a controlled, commercial molding environment.
- High volume manufacturing
- Medical device, in-vitro diagnostic products, or pharmaceutical products
- RJG Master Molder training/certification
- Six Sigma certification
- Experience with 3D Sigma Soft or Autodesk Mold Flow analysis
- PMP Certification
“Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.”
Already a member? Sign In