Strategic Marketing Director
Toledo, OH, USA | Owens Corning Inc
Industry:Manufacturing (Light Industry / Consumer-Oriented)
Job Description:55 people have viewed this job
Owens Corning’s mission is to build a sustainable future through material innovation, while our people and products make the world a better place. The company and insulation business are uniquely positioned in the building and construction market and with products that are key enablers to energy efficiency and green house gas reduction.We believe our mission-driven strategy around sustainability will bring success to the population, our employees and stakeholders.
The Strategic Marketing Director, Sustainability will be an integral member of Insulation business and a subject matter expert for the global executive leadership team across insulation.This newly created position will be accountable for developing and operationalizing a global strategy that sets up the roadmap to transform Insulation to a global, industry leading manufacturer of insulator products, and do so while maintaining our current performance levels as a baseline and further improving our business revenue and profitability.This covers both internal process and decisions as well as external product development and influencing market trends.This role is accountable to define a cohesive sustainability strategy to create and capture value in the market for the nearly $4B Insulation business globally.
This role will be focused on navigating the complex ecosystem, up and down the value chain, including working with businesses, geographies, suppliers, customers, government officials and other Fortune 500 executives.Responsibilities will revolve around working across the Insulation leaders globally and our corporate Sustainability teams to drive Insulation’s strategy towards achieving a profitable, sustainability-driven future.
Reports to VP, Strategic Marketing
Travel:Willingness to travel periodically (domestic and international) – 20%
Define the roadmap to a profitable, sustainable future
• Deeply understand drivers and needs, throughout the ecosystem while integrating regional complexities, today and tomorrow, with ability to develop and execute a winning strategy to deliver insulation’s new aspiration of creating a profitable business, based on sustainability and carbon emission reduction
• Define the product and service innovation roadmap to meet market needs for CO₂, recycled content, customer waste takeback and product transparency – including business model innovation for non-product revenue streams and ecosystem partnership
• Determine the strategic roadmap, both short and long-term to become the industry leader that changes the trajectory of carbon emissions through materials sciences
• Develop a winning value proposition designed to create and capture value in the market, at each step in the value chain
• Assess competitor and solution landscape (direct competitors, materials and end market solutions [i.e. carbon capture, building science methods]) to ensure we are leading in market-facing sustainability
• Develop framework, gather benchmarks, competitive information, and market back customer demands to help prioritize initiatives
Ecosystem Engagement & Partnership
• Influences internal (executive committee & insulation leadership) and external stakeholders (customers, influencers, governments, NGOs, industry associations) for investment decisions on both product, process and service innovations that deliver reduced carbon emissions and generates revenue growth for OC from the value proposition.
• Builds relationships with Executive Committee members and sustainability leadership at Fortune 500 companies to develop joint partnerships and programs around decarbonization, recycling and customer waste take back.
• Identifies and influences opportunities for material codes, regulations and specification opportunities to develop and deliver a market strategy that favors Owens Corning products and services.
• Leverages market and industry expertise to influence building codes and standards in all our markets. Works collaboratively with local internal and external talents to drive change influencing industry standards to favor Owens Corning solutions.
• Engages with external constituents (government officials and agencies, NGOs, regulatory and code bodies) to bring relevant outside perspectives into OC to shape strategy and execution and effectively represents OC to influence others, to favor OC solutions.
• Partners and informally leads internal senior level resources from Operations, S&T, Sustainability, Government Affairs, Commercial and Finance to align and deliver on this strategic roadmap.
• Connects the dots externally to drive preference for OC products and services which give us a competitive advantage.
• Manages the complexities of implementing the global Long-Range Plan strategy anchored on Insulation’s aspiration to be a profitable sustainability-led business globally
• Engages and enrolls senior level management from Corporate, Commercial, Operations, S&T, Sustainability, Government Affairs and Finance to deliver on this strategic roadmap
• Partners with the top General Managers of the businesses largest P&Ls to execute and deliver the insulation Long-Range Plan to be a profitable sustainability-led strategy
• Drives awareness with our internal product and commercial teams on where opportunities exist to create demand and requirements for our products, returning higher revenue and margins.
• Leads the operating model bringing all relevant functions together at the right time, including sustainability, operations, S&T, sales, marketing, legal and government affairs
• Ensures successful prioritization, resourcing and implementation of key projects and programs to deliver on the strategy and expected financial returns
• Continuously monitor and assess progress and performance, including measurement, tracking and reporting of market-facing related sustainability metrics
• Drive education, awareness and adoption for employees and customers to support the strategy
• Bachelor’s degree in business, strategy, marketing, economics or related field
• MBA or equivalent working experience highly preferred
• Masters in sustainability or equivalent working experience
• 10+ years’ experience in marketing, commercial and/or strategy
• Market facing expertise in sustainability, decarbonization, waste take back and product safety
• Experience leading and developing others.
• Strong project management skills
• Experience working for or with a multi-national manufacturing company
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Materials sciences, construction or building materials experiences background is highly preferred
• Influences at all levels without formal authority and navigates ambiguity will be critical skills for success.
• Advanced leadership capabilities for growth particularly in working horizontally, competitively driving results, testing strategies with outside in thinking and embodying and leading bold resource choices.
• Strategic and analytical mindset with technical aptitude
• Connects the dots – great in ambiguity – integrates concepts across functions
• Influential – up, down and across – written and verbal to drive decision making and resource allocation
• Customer oriented for product / service needs assessment & value prop development (TEA)
• Outcome / impact oriented
• Commercial and marketing savvy
• Passion for the earth
Already a member? Sign In