Sustainment Engineering Director
Merrimack, NH, USA | BAE Systems
Job Description:87 people have viewed this job
See what you’re missing. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics – from detecting threats for F-35 pilots to illuminating the night for soldiers. Spanning air, land, sea, and space, we are developing the technology of tomorrow, delivered today. Drawing strength from our differences, we’re innovating for the future. And you can, too.
Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our mission: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®.”
Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with us.
BAE Systems is currently seeking Sustainment Engineers to join the Electronic Combat Solutions Business Area supporting the growing product area of product sustainment.
1. Serves as an authority and consultant for Sustainment initiatives and growth across the enterprise. Works across a broad range of disciplines to structure undefined problems, identifies key technical and programmatic issues. Defines alternative approaches and resolutions to reduce support costs and increase fleet mission capability. Develops and applies extremely advanced technologies, principles, theories and concepts, extending existing boundaries of knowledge. Works in extremely complex areas requiring research, creativity and ingenuity in identifying potential engineering solutions.
2. Plans critical long range sustainment requirements to enhance Company objectives to meet or influence anticipated customer needs. Independently identifies and solves significant problems associated with the success of current and critical long range objectives. Leads and coordinates the activities of key technical personnel and other employees as required.
3. Fosters new ideas and inventions. Pursues new technology concepts prior to the establishment of any formal IR&D or CR&D establishment. Recommends, plans, leads, reviews, identifies risks and evaluates R&D, capital and technological applications programs. Advises senior management on developments, trends or weaknesses in his/her area(s) of expertise for the LOB and OG. Additionally, expertise is often sought out at the Inc. level or globally.
4. Serves as prime spokesperson to customers and other companies on Company’s sustainment capabilities in area(s) of expertise. Is often instrumental in attracting and obtaining new company business. Holds membership(s) in professional organizations, often in a leadership role. Represents Company at professional technical forums, organizations, conferences and meetings. Makes significant contributions to government, scientific or technology study panels. May publish in national scientific and technical journals.
5. Overall Program Engineering Technical Lead for 20 Sustainment programs responsible for successful engineering execution in cost, schedule and technical. Reports to the PRGL on status and metrics of execution of the programs. Includes leading the engineering portion of business capture and proposal
6. Supervises a team of 5-8 Program Engineering Technical Leads (50-60 engineers) that are assigned and responsible for engineering execution. Responsible for the growth and development of the team, prepares and communicates mid-year and yearly performance reviews, merits and promotions, and general care of the team.
7. Mentors high potential and other Engineers in area(s) of expertise.
8. Recommends system philosophies, design objectives and risk mitigation.
9. Actively participates in design reviews, proposal evaluations, tiger teams, etc. Actively participates in new business activities. Prepares and reviews technical papers and reports.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 12 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
Active Secret Clearance or TS
10+ years of technical work experience in the EW field, or equivalent military Mission Electronic Systems.
•5+ years in a technical lead role preferred
Electronic Warfare Systems Sustainment Experience or equivalent Mission Electronic Systems.
Working Knowledge of Operational Maintenance, EW Systems, Logistics, and Reliability
Problem Solving: Analytical thought needed to resolve issues in a variety of complex situations, without supervision.
Nature of Impact: Routinely impacts quality, timeliness of results, planning and revenues or budget; frequently sets policies and procedures.
Area of Impact: Primarily on a Program or Business Unit basis.
Interpersonal Skills: Developed communication skills to exchange complex information.
Negotiation Skills: Ability to negotiate with internal and external customers to achieve consensus on technical decisions and issue resolution