Technical Services Director
Houston, TX, USA | Ellucian
Job Description:74 people have viewed this job
Description of Job Duties:
Serves as Director and Technical Leader for a small team of server and network administrators delivering enterprise data center support and services. Also manages campus Help Desk, Audio/Visual and Meda support staff.Performs other job related duties as required and reports directly to the Chief Information Officer (CIO).
- Provide technical leadership for operating systems, directory services, access control, data security / firewalls
- Responsible to ensure the stable operation of enterprise connectivity for the university. This includes but not limited to planning, developing, installing, configuring, maintaining, support, and optimizing all local and wide area network hardware and connections, wired and wireless, server and storage, associated software, and communication links.
- Build, monitor and analyze server and storage systems to achieve optimal performance.
- Develop and implement policies for asset management, including maintenance of component inventory, related documentation, and technical specifications.
- Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure value-added products and services.
- Maintain disaster recovery documentation of procedures, access, contacts, and inventory for area of responsibility.
- Research industry best practices, benchmarks and tools and identify opportunities to incorporate into university best practices.
- Masters Degree or Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum 7 - 10 years experience showing advancement, which includes management and/or leadership within IT Service Management and general higher education industry experience.
- Strong understanding of Cisco networking, Virtualized Server farms (VMWare), Storage technologies, Wi-Fi technologies, Telecommunications, and Windows Desktop Support Services.
- Strong understanding of industry trends and standards.
- Strong end user orientation and strong work ethic to manage emergencies off hours.
- Solid organizational skills.Ability to work with staff, faculty, and administration at all skill and management levels.
- "Can do" attitude and exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Is able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Datacenter Operations with VMWare, HP and Dell server hardware
- Cisco networking highly desired.
- Experience supporting Cloud deployments (e.g. Infrastructure as a Service – IaaS
- Experience supporting integrations with Cloud deployments (eg. Integrating local ERP with hosted Software as a Service- SaaS - providers)
- Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft and TomCat Web Services, Single Sign On (SSO), and Mobile solutions, a definite plus.
- Experience with Emerging technologies e.g. Office 365 Collaboration Suite, Artificial Intelligence, Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality, 3-D Printing a definite plus.