VP and Chief Underwriting Officer
New York, NY, USA | Leading Insurance - General Company
Industry:Insurance - General
Job Description:72 people have viewed this job
Everest Risk Management Group is seeking a Vice President Underwriting Officer for its U.S. Operations based in New York, NY. As a key member of the senior leadership team reporting to the President of Risk Management and within a matrix to the office of the Chief Underwriting Officer of Everest Insurance®, you will support Everest Risk Management in underwriting operations in building a world-class underwriting organization.
• Enhance and ensure the underwriting profit of the Risk Management insurance operations through portfolio monitoring and action.
• Implement and promote best practices for underwriting, processes and governance.
• Develop new products and refine current products to maintain a market leadership position.
• Portfolio Management and Technical Underwriting Drive an optimal portfolio management strategy delivering sustainable profitable growth to the organization by enhancing the use of data and analytics to improve risk selection and portfolio management and providing deep technical expertise across products. Act as an underwriting referral point in the Risk Management operation, with significant personal interaction with underwriting. Provide strategic guidance and support on key underwriting and growth initiatives.
• Enterprise Risk Management Manage gross and net retention and catastrophic exposure accumulations. Support treaty reviews and facultative placements in conjunction with Corporate Underwriting and Ceded Re.
• Underwriting Guidelines Develop, administer and maintain underwriting rules and guidelines while collaboratively working with product line leadership and underwriters as needed.
• Product Development Champion new product development including project management, oversight and pipeline reviews. Work closely with Risk Management staff, Corporate Underwriting, subject matter experts regardless of location, and functional areas to develop market suitable wordings, rates, terms, conditions, processes and underwriting guidelines. Also ensure that current products are market appropriate and well-supported. Align underwriting strategies with products, appetites and ensure that pro-forma financials, analytics, workflows, staffing and communication initiatives are completed consistent with the Everest product onboarding process.
• Audit Management Support implementation of underwriting audit processes within Everest Risk Management including audit cycle management, schedule management and audit recommendation implementation in concert with Corporate Underwriting. Accountable for all processes, guidelines and conduct of local self-audits. Manage audit recommendations to conclusion.
• Authority Management Assists in development and updates of authority template(s) and leads implementation efforts including a referral and delegation process based on experience and skills. Partner with underwriting and Corporate Underwriting for items outside of Everest Canada authority. Utilizes an analytical database (once developed by Corporate Underwriting) to review authority levels and triggers, including a process to confer underwriting authority after completion of the employee onboarding process.
• Training and Development Establish an employee onboarding process for new staff and development templates for existing staff, including partnering with Corporate Underwriting and Human Resources on training programs and underwriting schools. Deliver, or manage delivery, of training materials when applicable to the US market.
SKILLS REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• 15-25 years of progressive commercial underwriting experience.
• Deep knowledge of P&C underwriting.
• Exceptional oral and written communication with the ability to concisely provide executive summaries to senior management.
• Strong problem solving analytical skills, with an ability to drive data analytics and make appropriate conclusions on results.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and timelines across a variety of stakeholders to meet targets and deliverable dates.
• Team oriented and ability to work effectively with peers.
• Demonstrated bias for action with a high sense of urgency, strong work ethic and drive for results.
• Experience with corporate governance and controls management, including processes and systems.
• Experience with a wide variety of assignments around operational workflow including systems is an asset.
• Bachelor’s degree or greater.
• CPCU or related insurance certification is beneficial.
• Some travel, including overnight or extended trips in the US is required.