VP, Business Development, Federal
Arlington, VA, USA | Magellan Health
Industry:Healthcare - Hospitals
Job Description:70 people have viewed this job
This position will lead all sales, proposal and capture resources and will function as a strategic partner to the CEO and the leadership team. Oversee all business development functions within the company and is a key member of the leadership team. Enhance the overall function and bring business growth experience, knowledge and strategic thinking to the company, involving rapid and thorough improvement of go-to-market strategy and position the company to win large, strategic pursuits. Recommends integration of Magellan Federal capabilities with those of Magellan Health and other stakeholders to deliver occupational and behavioral health solutions. Work with colleagues to further enhance the proposal and capture infrastructure (i.e. processes, systems, tools, talent strategies) enabling the organization to operate effectively and appropriately improve the value proposition of Magellan Federal in its business pursuits. Key strategist and spokesperson for the organization for Federal initiatives.
• Develops a strategically aligned business development (BD) pipeline incorporating the capabilities of Magellan Healt• Assesses strength of the federal growth team, coach and make any necessary changes.
• Identifies, develops, qualifies, captures large and strategic opportunities to drive Federal services revenue growth.
• Provides consultation on marketing and sales efforts as needed.
• Identifies opportunities and markets, coordinates between Magellan Federal and Magellan Health resources, develops and executes on specific opportunity capture plans in collaboration with other business areas.
• Builds and maintains collaborative internal relationships with peers and external relationships with consultants, lobbyists and payer decision-makers throughout the United States.
• Assesses market dynamics; develops and executes a growth strategy based on market trends, Magellan capabilities, competitive environment, and segment growth forecast.
• Leads a team of experienced Capture, BD and Proposal Developers for strategic opportunities, including new differentiated offerings tied to the revised Magellan Federal strategy.
• Supports the development of capture skills for BD team and select delivery leaders for priority lifecycle capture (from identification through award).
• Engages externally with executive customers and acquisition leaders to shape requirements and introduce capabilities.
• Represents the company on industry councils to include acquisition shaping and reform.
• Redefines Magellan Federal approach to price to win to focus on strategic opportunities, GWACs and new business models.
• Implements standards and metrics for development and management of a robust pipeline of opportunities.
• Develops and presents milestone briefings to senior management in support of investing in and pursuing strategic opportunities.
• Aligns sales strategy and resources around targeted growth-oriented relationships
• Engages customers in identifying and shaping opportunities.
• Markets the company brand, establishes customer expectations and shapes opportunities by creating white papers, responding to RFI's and RFP's.
• Supports captures and proposals to maintain continuity across the business development lifecycle enhancing the ability to win.
• Manages Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for targeted relationships to increase RFP pipeline and wins.
• Promotes and may assist with implementations of new programs and services to enhance relationships with key stakeholders.
• Supports development of Requests for Proposal for procurement and program expansion.
• Supports continuous improvement of Business Development tools and processes.
• Responsible for building qualified pipeline for organic growth, ensuring excellence in delivery of full life cycle business development activities including strategic planning, management of bid and proposal (B&P) resources, target identification and development, contract award and customer relations.
• Partners with executive leadership to ensure effective use of BD resources across the company as well as identifying and responding to key customer relationship needs.
• Ensures the company is appropriately positioned for recompetes as well as large strategic campaigns. Responsible for identifying and developing bench strength for business development talent across the company.
• Advises executive leadership on plans for key customers and provide additional leadership and expertise in other new business matters including strategic planning, competitive intelligence and market analysis.
• Builds upon the current pipeline of Federal contracts, positioning Magellan Federal to address the clinical and behavioral health needs of employees across the federal government.
Other Job Requirements
•A bias for action in an engaging and relational manner and an orientation towards solving rather than identifying problem areas is a preferred characteristic of the ideal candidate
•The candidate must exhibit proven professional and managerial skills along with the leadership traits and personal characteristics which are necessary for success in senior management. Must also have a demonstrated track record of working effectively in a collaborative organization
•The successful candidate should have a well-developed concept of the business development process for solutions and strong knowledge of the technical, fiscal, and contractual trends within the industry.
•The successful candidate will possess an established professional reputation for excellence in services rendered, and the highest levels of personal integrity.
•Familiar with federal procurement process.
•15+ years of progressively responsible Federal Business Development (sales, marketing, capture, proposal) experience to include leading a Business Development organization, with focus on healthcare industry selling to a range of federal and Department of Defense agencies.
•Proven experience leading growth of a business with similar or larger size.
•Excellent industry/customer knowledge and a demonstrated track record of success leading growth initiatives, winning large clinical and behavioral health contracts in the federal market.
•Strong personal brand with visibility in the market and with customers.
•Experience managing senior personnel, as direct manager or lead for complex programs.
•Proven track record in selecting and mentoring business development, capture and proposal talent.
•Has a strong network of customer contacts, familiar with DoD, DHS major programs and upcoming initiatives.
•Comprehensive understanding of federal contracting and budgeting processes.
•Experience developing complex products and services with successful implementations.
•Solid understanding of customer and revenue generation in the Federal market.
•Effective leader/participant in formal presentations to leadership, clients and potential teaming partners; proven track record of building winning teams.
•Experience establishing a highly accountable, performance-driven team culture, critical for growth.
•Strong financial acumen and negotiation skills.
•Proven ability to succeed in a highly collaborative organization.
•Ability to lead business development, capture, proposal development, pricing and creative functions.
General Job Information
VP, Business Development, Federal
Business Development, Healthcare, Military
License and Certifications - Required
Already a member? Sign In