VP, Compliance - RJ Bank
New York City, NY, USA | Leading Financial Services Company
Legal / Compliance
Job Description:75 people have viewed this job
Under general direction and with a high level of autonomy, uses extensive knowledge and skills obtained through education and experience to manage and oversee the operation of all compliance functions for a specific division/department of Raymond James and Associates. Manages department, associates, and division of responsibilities within the Compliance department. Leads major projects, programs or processes with significant business impact involving cross-functional teams. Works with members of the Compliance, Legal and business leadership teams to develop tactical plans for compliance initiatives. Completes complex assignments with substantial latitude for autonomous actions or decisions. Provides comprehensive solutions to complex problems or needs. End results are evaluated for achieving goals and objectives. Maintains extensive contact with various business units and departments of Leading Financial Services Company and its subsidiaries to perform the functions of this job.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manages department, associates, budget, reporting structure, and division of responsibilities within Compliance department.
• Manages firm wide compliance programs, conducts activity and exception review, continuing education programs, as well as complaint review and response.
• Identifies and manages regulatory risks associated with specific division and/or department assigned.
• Develops, reviews, and adjusts the department’s supervisory procedures to adapt to changing regulatory and business environments.
• Uses data and performance indicators to establish control mechanisms and other improvement initiatives, and ensures quality standards are consistently attained or exceeded.
• Leads and manages all aspects of large, complex projects through their entire project lifecycle (initiation, planning, execution, closure).
• Develops and sponsors tactics to achieve strategic objectives across functional groups or within a business group.
• Establishes objectives and develops processes and procedures to ensure efficient and timely work flow.
• Serves as a member of the leadership team in developing short and long term goals and initiatives to achieve strategic vision for the compliance department.
• Represents Compliance on major firm level projects and/or initiatives.
• Performs human resource management activities, including identifying performance problems and approving recommendations for remedial action; evaluating performance; and interviewing and selecting staff.
• Plans, assigns, monitors, reviews, evaluates and leads the work of subordinate supervisors.
• Coaches and mentors subordinates, identifies training needs and recommends appropriate development programs.
• Develops systems and procedures to minimize the firm’s risk exposure while balancing business concerns.
• Maintains the required compliance systems for the firm while fostering a positive relationship with department employees and management.
• Responds to and oversees responses to regulatory inquiries.
• Manages compliance exams of the firm by various regulatory bodies.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Compliance and legal procedures in the financial services industry.
• Concepts, practices and procedures of the financial services industry.
• Retail and clearing firm operations.
• Written and verbal communications skills sufficient to professionally address a wide and varied audience both internally and externally.
• Organizational and time management skills sufficient to handle multiple priorities in a fast paced and ever changing environment.
• Project management skills and experience sufficient to successfully complete long and short term projects.
• Operating standard office equipment and using required software application to produce correspondence, reports, electronic communication, spreadsheets, and databases.
• Manage all levels of associates, including technical, professional, clerical, administrative and supervisory associates.
• Plan, assign, monitor, review, evaluate and lead the work of others; coach and mentor others.
• Work under pressure on multiple tasks concurrently, manage those delegated; and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment with frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
• Partner with other functional areas to accomplish objectives.
• Organize, prioritize, manage, and track multiple detailed tasks and assignments with frequently changing priorities and deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
• Use appropriate interpersonal styles and communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with all organizational levels to accomplish objectives.
• Work independently as well as collaboratively within a team environment.
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree (B.A./B.S.) in a related discipline required with a Master’s degree preferred.Minimum of twelve (12) years of Compliance, Legal, Banking and/or regulatory experience in the financial services industry.
• Minimum ten (10) years management experience within the financial services industry.
• An equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training as approved by Human Resources.
• Appropriate series license(s) for assigned functional area preferred or the ability to obtain within an established timeframe.
• Additional licenses/certifications demonstrating the candidate’s knowledge/expertise in industry regulation and concepts preferred.