VP, Controller – Global Housing
Chicago, IL, USA | Assurant
Industry:Insurance - General
Functions:Accounting / Control
Job Description:63 people have viewed this job
Assurant has an exciting opportunity for a VP, Controller - Global Housing!
Overview of Position
This job has primary responsibility for the management and leadership of the overall Accounting functions for the Assurant Global Housing business.Reporting to the Chief Accounting Officer, this role has responsibility for all accounting functions & practices, systems & internal controls on a global basis. This includes but is not limited to the general accounting functions and financial records; internal controls; all financial reporting including balance sheets and income statements and related disclosures; GAAP & STAT reporting; monthly and quarterly close including related analysis; and accounting consultation with the business and coordination with Corporate Accounting teams.This role includes responsibility for the Reinsurance Accounting function.
What makes us different?
Assurant is committed to providing a competitive rewards package which goes beyond the value of your paycheck. We offer an array of market-competitive benefits and resources to support your physical, emotional, financial, and social wellbeing goals. These include programs to help you invest in your financial future such as savings programs, as well as competitive health and wellbeing benefits to support you and your family. For additional information on our benefits, please review www.MyAssurantBenefits.com . Below are some of our amazing perks:
- Health Coverage Starting Day One: We offer competitive health and wellbeing benefits to support you and your family. You can choose from a range of health and dental plan options, as well as health plan accounts.
- Disability and Life Insurance: We provide short- and long-term disability insurance, life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance.
- Retirement: Assurant offers retirement savings plans globally. U.S. based employees are offered a 401(k) plan in which Assurant matches 100% of every dollar contributed, up to 6% of eligible pay.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan: Assurant’s Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) allows employees to purchase shares of Assurant, Inc. stock at a 10% discount with funds contributed through after-tax payroll deductions.
- Career Development: Assurant offers a variety of internal courses, workshops, special projects, coaching and mentoring programs. Tuition reimbursement and other professional enrichment opportunities are also available to encourage continuous learning.
- Work-Life Balance: We strive to provide a work environment that encourages work/life balance. Options depend on job responsibilities and may include flexible work schedules, telework, paid time off and part-time employment.
- Family Planning Support:Fertility benefits and support services with 24/7 access to nurse care services. $30,000 medical and prescription drug lifetime maximum benefit for fertility services. Assurant will provide up to $20,000 of financial assistance for adoption and or surrogacy.
What will be my responsibilities for this position?
- Formulates strategy & processes to ensure appropriate accounting for Global segment; highlighting risks and risk mitigation where appropriate.
- Strong liaison with business leaders to understand business strategy and objectives and ensure accounting support is optimized.
- Oversees complex accounting environment for multiple businesses comprising the Housing segment
- Ensures that appropriate accounting policies & procedures are applied to routine and non-routine financial transactions and business events, including consultation with business and FP&A regarding accounting implications of transactions
- Ensures compliance with all SEC, GAAP and Statutory requirements as applicable
- Ensures company maintains appropriate financial reporting to meet needs of Segment and Corporate management, shareholders, audit committee of the Board of directors, SEC and all filing agencies
- Sets strategy for planning, directing & coordinating processes to ensure effective accounting function, including compliance with SOX requirements and effective internal control over financial reporting
- Establish best practices to collect, capture & analyze financial data to ensure accuracy of financial data and ensure that the business and management has accurate and complete financial information to manage the business measure progress against financial targets
- Maintain relationships with external partners & auditors
- Along with other key finance leaders helps design systems and processes related to system and process initiatives (e.g., ERP, manual processes)
- Focus on process improvements across the Housing accounting function and coordination across the enterprise (e.g., FP&A, operations, business) to ensure efficient and effective accounting function
What are the requirements needed for this position?
- 15 years progressive experience in Accounting and Finance roles in publicly traded insurance companies
- Manage an accounting or reporting function with responsibility for monthly and quarterly close processes as well as related financial reporting
- Clear communicator; presentation/exposure to C-suite management and/or Board of Directors
- Effective leadership skills managing a diverse team
- CPA required
What other skills/experience would be helpful to have?
- Strong Accounting skills & knowledge
- Public accounting experience a plus
- Prior experience in a multi-national insurance company
- Strong knowledge in both US GAAP and US Statutory
- Knowledge and experience with ERP system implementations and operating in a sophisticated financial system environment
- Proven experience in developing and improving processes and controls
- Prior experiences as senior finance executive in a publicly traded company
- High integrity
- Experience leading global teams
What are the working conditions and physical requirements of this job?
General Office Demands
5-10% (higher during initial year)
Helping People Thrive in a Connected World
We work with the world’s top brands to make smart devices simpler. Vehicles last longer. Homes more secure. Problems easier to solve. And we volunteer in communities all over the globe to help the world become a greener, better place. We come from a variety of countries, cultures and backgrounds. But we’re united by our enduring values of common sense, common decency, uncommon thinking and uncommon results. So connect with us. Bring us your best work and your brightest ideas. And we’ll bring you a place where you can thrive.
Our Culture Defined
Our unique culture is a big reason why talented people choose Assurant and why they tend to stay. Although we have a wide variety of skills and experiences, we share common characteristics that are uniquely Assurant. A passion for service. An ability to innovate in practical ways. And a willingness to take chances. We believe that staying on top doesn’t mean sacrificing our values. We believe clarity of vision and a sense of purpose will carry us forward. And we take charge of our own success. We call it The Assurant Way.
Assurant is a leading global business services company that supports, protects and connects major consumer purchases. A Fortune 500 company with a presence in 21 countries, Assurant supports the advancement of the connected world by partnering with the world’s leading brands to develop innovative solutions and deliver an enhanced customer experience through mobile device solutions, extended service contracts, vehicle protection services, renters insurance, lender-placed insurance products and other specialty products.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not use or consider race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law in employment decisions.
Already a member? Sign In