VP, Design - Women's
Vancouver, Canada | lululemon
Design / Graphic Design
Job Description:64 people have viewed this job
A day in the life:
Reporting directly into the SVP Women’s Design, The VP of Design at lululemon leads a team of designers in creating world class athletic apparel that is acknowledged as leading in innovation, design, function, fit and quality. Executing the creative vision, you lead a team of designers in creating a line from inception of ideas to final product.
Responsible for the overall vision and design direction for your category through all phases of product design and development. You combine active product use experience, market knowledge and trend research to inform your point of view on how to build a seasonal collection of functional, innovative and quality designs. You are a master at enrolling designers and cross functional partners in executing this vision.
You drive partnership with athletes to continually elevate and innovate our product and create a roadmap and strategy for the line. You are a leader on the cross funcitoanl Prodyct Team. You partner with raw materials, merchandising, product development, quality and sourcing, ensuring all teams have the most up to date information on each style and that we have world class vendors in place to execute your vision. You have a background in performance product and truly understand solves for activity. Teamwork and clear communication are essential.
You have razor sharp attention to detail around product/process so that we can build beautiful technical athletic apparel. You have strong business and financial acumen with a proven track record in running profitable organizations.
You are passionate about people development and work closely with recruiting and people potential to hire and develop the next generation of lululemon leaders.
Please review below for the day in the life of VP:
Process + Workload:
• Under the Creative Direction you lead a team of designers in executing the seasonal vision
• Research, ideate and create mood and fabric boards to support in communicating the Creative Directors vision to your design team and cross functional partners
• Responsible for leading a team of designers in the creation of a Rig Room (a 3D representation of the seasonal creative direction) for Creative Season Kick Off. This includes but is not limited to building mock ups, fabric boards, selecting tears and building digital and physical presentations
• Responsible for partnering with Merchandising to build a strategy of how to grow our mainline business as well as push forward key innovations
• Technical understanding of performance fabrics in both knits and wovens or hybrid and ability to clearly brief the raw materials team for development.
• Responsible for building new technologies into functional solves for the guest
• Give clear, consistent and inspiring direction on silhouette, fabric, trim, technology and trend so your designers are able to create freely into the seasonal vision
• Ensure creative direction is supported through line plan creation, seasonal sketch and protype reviews to execute design intent.
• Ability to apply, perform and manage design skills such as drawing/sketching, concept ideation, 3D technology, texture and scale
• Expert ability at draping, understanding patterns and creating 3D forms
• Partner with the in house workshop to create mock ups and prototypes
• Responsible for ensuring all styles deliver our standards of quality, beauty and function to our guest
• Awareness of what’s happening in the athletic and fashion industry – research
• Awareness of how the line is currently performing in stores - work in the stores, lead design meetings, partner with athletes and action feedback for continual innovation of product
• Responsible for understanding the impact of your decisions on timelines and margins and for coaching your team to make smart decisions
• Ability to travel to offshore factories and on inspiration trips as needed
• Proven track record in hiring, developing and mentoring teams to accomplish stretch goals. Able to attract, motivate and retain first class talent with a particular emphasis on nurturing creative talent.
• Be a leader on the design/product team
• Know and be an expert in the fitness community
• Any other duties as required
• 12 – 15 experience in an executive support level capacity with increasing responsibilities
• BA, BFA or BS in Design required (or equivalent)
• MA if applicable
• Team Management Experience
• Leadership + Development Skills
• Excellent business acumen and ability to exercise sound judgment and prioritization
• Advanced-level Adobe Suite: ILLUSTRATOR. PSD. INDESIGN
• 3D design a bonus
• Expert knowledge of garment construction, patterning, textiles, sewing techniques and technology applications.
• Natural ability to oversee and lead the team in the design and development of product, ensuring commercial viability with the Product Developer, Raw Materials Developer, Merchant, Quality and Sourcing Manager
• Adhere to strict timelines and calendar dates to deliver exceptional product, on-time
• Proficiency with Excel, Word, Mac platform
• Past experience communicating with offshore factories
• Actively live and breathe the lululemon culture and lifestyle
• Entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovates to achieve great results.
• Egoless nature, approachable, available and fun
• Leader and coach
• Passionate and knowledgeable about yoga, run, and sport
• Acknowledges the presence of choice in every moment and takes personal responsibility for their life.
• Communicates with honesty and kindness, and creates the space for others to do the same.
• Leads with courage, knowing the possibility of greatness is bigger than the fear of failure.
• Fosters connection by putting people first and building trusting relationships.
• Integrates fun and joy as a way of being and working, aka doesn’t take themselves too seriously.
Alrdeady a member? Sign In