VP & Head of Discovery Dev Center
Bangalore, India | Discovery Communications
Industry:Media / Entertainment
IT / Information Technology
Job Description:62 people have viewed this job
The VP of Engineering will lead, manage, and inspire the software engineering teams that span multiple areas of the end to end DTC OTT platform including cloud based video workflows, AI/ML based personalization, cross platform players & advertising & monetization solutions. They will develop the global platform working closely with peers on the digital platform teams in Seattle, New York & London and the product, design, and P&L leaders across the globe.
An ideal candidate will take a hands-on approach to deliver a true multi-tenant platform that will power all the brands of Discovery. They build for scale, develop technologies with a long-term outlook, build trust with their engineering team & people from all areas of the business, and have a proven track record. This leader takes end-to-end ownership and consistently delivers results in a fast-paced environment. They are a leader that the team loves to work with because they inspire, develop, and care for their team members.
This role can be in Bangalore OR Hyderabad.
The ideal candidate is an established leader of leaders, responsible for managing an area or department. You are responsible for defining the mission of your team, inspiring and motivating your team to pursue that mission, and setting strategic goals for them to achieve in that pursuit. You have a balanced understanding of business and technical objectives and your guidance is sought out because your decisions drive the best outcomes for both. You own a set of key performance indicators important to the business, and drive outcomes for our business by setting goals against these metrics.
Key areas of focus would include VOD & Live video workflows, AI/ML based personalization technology, Metadata services & Search, Advertising workflows & video players spanning Web, iOS, Android, Amazon, Roku, voice, and emerging platforms. You will champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and processes that drive velocity, adaptability & results. You will help build, lead & mentor great software teams to enable delivery of world-class consumer products.
The ideal candidate will also perform the role of a site leader and be responsible to establish Discovery brand in India and manage industry and university relations. This person will also work closely with Discovery Global Real Estate and Facilities to establishlocal offices and policies.
*Ability to travel 15% - 20%
* You have worked in a rapidly changing environment and thrive in a startup environment and are proficient in dealing with ambiguity
* You enjoy closely partnering with horizontal functions such as real-estate and facilities, HR, Recruiting, Finance and PR
* You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, when, and when not to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details.
* You strive in a culture of innovation – always exploring ways to say yes and try out new ideas and living outside your comfort zone.
* You are comfortable handling multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
* Deep understanding of how culture and team dynamics create exceptional teams.
* Your written and verbal communication skills are top notch. You can distil key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience.
* You lead by example and do not consider yourself above individual contributor work.
* You have demonstrated that you can manage multiple teams, or an area of strategic importance and significant impact. You are able to work effectively through other managers reporting to you.
* You influence teams and groups outside your wider organization with your deep insight and strategic thinking.
* You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as is evidence by the performance of engineers and managers on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best engineers and managers.
* 10+ years of professional experience architecting, developing, and launching software products and/or services.
* 5+ years of experience managing successful engineering teams including hiring and performance management.
* Previous experience in media industry preferred
* BS/MS in Computer Science or a related technical field
Already a member? Sign In